Thunder Day Information
This applies to ALL viewing areas within the Thunder Over Louisville venue on the Kentucky side – which goes south from the Ohio River to Main Street between Clay Street and 10th Street and includes Thunder Chow Wagon, Meijer Family Fun Zone on the West Belvedere and North Great Lawn viewing area.
-No Tents or Canopies of any kind will be allowed within WaterfrontPark. Structures of ANY kind will be required to be taken down. This will be strictly enforced.
-No taping or roping off of larges areas will be allowed. This will be strictly enforced throughout the Thunder venue.
-No overnight camping allowed in WaterfrontPark or the overall event area. WaterfrontPark officially closes at 11PM on Friday Night and will open at 9 AM on Saturday morning.
-No glass bottles are allowed at the event site. Plastic containers, cans and food are permitted. There are food and soft drink stands throughout the venue to take care of any needs you may have. Beer is also available at the Chow Wagon at Waterfront Park, North Great Lawn and Meijer Family Fun Zone on the West Belvedere.
-No FOOD or DRINK allowed in the Thunder Chow Wagon, but it is permitted in the North Great Lawn viewing area, Meijer Family Fun Zone on the West Belvedere, and other areas of the Thunder venue.
-No alcoholic beverages are allowed.
-No grills are allowed within the Thunder venue.
-No bikes, skateboards or skates are allowed in the event venue. You will be asked to walk them in for pedestrian safety. If you ride your bike to Thunder, valet parking is available at the corner of Preston and Witherspoon Streets.
-Please leave any pets at home.
-A picnic blanket or tarp (limited to 10’x10′) and lawn chairs are allowed inside the Thunder venue (including the North Great Lawn viewing area).
-All persons and parcels are subject to search.
Top 10 Thunder Survival Tips:
- Pick-up the Official Thunder Program in The Courier-Journal Saturday, April 12th – it has a Thunder map and full airshow schedule.
- Wear your Pegasus Pin. Show your support for the Festival, plus you’ll need it for the Thunder Chow Wagon, Meijer Family Fun Zone on the West Belvedere and North Great Lawn viewing area.
- Park as far away from event venue as you can comfortably walk. Refer to the LMPD Traffic Plan to help choose the best place to park and exit route.
- Dress in layers. The temperature can vary a great deal throughout the day. Bring sunglasses & sunscreen.
- Know your limits and your children’s limits for the day. Seven hours can be a long day for toddlers. Consider picking air show OR fireworks.
- Bring a roll of toilet paper (Thunder Pots can run out!)
- Please do NOT bring pets, tents or materials to rope off/section off areas of the venue.
- You can bring food and drink to the venue (except in the Thunder Chow Wagon). Vending is also available throughout the venue. (All parcels subject to search.)
- Familiarize yourself with your surroundings AND be aware of the services around you…EMS, Lost Children, General First Aid.
- Make sure your car has plenty of gas for the exit traffic delays.
More helpful hints
- Designate a driver if you plan on drinking in the only beer-vending areas of the event: Thunder Chow Wagon at Waterfront Park, Meijer Family Fun Zone on the West Belvedere, and North Great Lawn.
- Identify a location to regroup should you lose any in your party.
- Bring your patience. This is not an event for the crowd-shy. Remember the event is for fun – try to have some!
- Don’t count on cell phones working 100% that day. With that many folks and signals service can be unreliable.
- Know what your children are wearing and carry a photo of them with you. Make sure they know to find a police officer and know your phone number and address. Lost Child Stations are set-up throughout the venue at all First Aid Stations.
- If you plan to bring young children (toddlers and infants) to the venue, bring ear plugs for them. The loud noises from the air show and fireworks frighten some children. Plus, it will help protect their tiny ear drums.
- Entertain restless children in the kid’s interactive areas or playgrounds in Waterfront Park and along River Road.
- Thunder Wear (official Thunder merchandise) can be found in 9 locations. If you plan on buying a poster, wait until later in the day to keep it from getting damaged.
- Bring a radio. You can tune into the command center and complete air show commentary on Lite 106.9 WVEZ.
- NO-NO’S – Keep glass bottles, grills, tents, stakes, pennant lines, caution tape, alcohol, skates and pets at home.