Just before the official start of the Thunder Over Louisville Air Show, Team AeroDynamix will perform a tribute to those impacted by the recent events in Boston.
The stories you tell happen here.
To some, it’s the official kick-off to the Kentucky Derby Festival. To others, it’s the unofficial beginning of spring. But to all, it’s simply one of the largest annual fireworks shows in North America and the setting for some of the most memorable moments you’ll ever share. So prepare yourself for Thunder Vision 2013, a sparkling display set to the symphonic sounds of TV through the years.
Thunder Over Louisville
- Pick-up the Official Thunder Program in The Courier-Journal Saturday, April 20th – it has a Thunder map and full airshow schedule.
- Wear your Pegasus Pin. Show your support for the Festival, plus you’ll need it for the Thunder Chow Wagon and North Great Lawn viewing area.
- Park as far away from event venue as you can comfortably walk. Refer to the LMPD Traffic Plan to help choose the best place to park and exit route.
- Dress in layers. The temperature can vary a great deal throughout the day. Bring sunglasses & sunscreen.
- Know your limits and your children’s limits for the day. Seven hours can be a long day for toddlers. Consider picking air show OR fireworks.
- Bring a roll of toilet paper (Thunder Pots can run out!)
- Please do NOT bring pets, tents or materials to rope off/section off areas of the venue.
- You can bring food and drinks to the venue (except in the Thunder Chow Wagon). Vending is also available. (All parcels subject to search.)
- Be aware of the services around you…EMS, Lost Children, General First Aid.
- Make sure your car has plenty of gas for the exit traffic delays.
- Designate a driver if you plan on drinking in the only beer-vending areas of the event: Thunder Chow Wagon at Waterfront Park, West Belvedere, North Great Lawn, and River Road Beer Garden.
- Identify a location to regroup should you lose any in your party.
- Bring your patience. This is not an event for the crowd-shy. Remember the event is for fun and try to have some!
- Don’t count on cell phones working 100% that day. With that many folks and signals service can be unreliable.
- Know what your children are wearing and carry a photo of them with you. Make sure they know to find a police officer and know your phone number and address. Lost Child Stations are set-up throughout the venue.
- If you plan to bring young children (toddlers and infants) to the venue, bring ear plugs for them. The loud noises from the air show and fireworks frighten some children. Plus, it will help protect their tiny ear drums.
- Entertain restless children in the kid’s interactive areas or playgrounds in Waterfront Park.
- Thunder Wear (official Thunder merchandise) can be found in 9 locations. If you plan on buying a poster, wait until later in the day to keep it from getting damaged.
- Bring a radio. You can tune into the command center and complete air show commentary on Lite 106.9 WVEZ.
- NO-NO’S – Keep glass bottles, grills, tents, stakes, pennant lines, caution tape, alcohol, skates and pets at home.
This applies to ALL viewing areas within the Thunder Over Louisville venue on the Kentucky side – which goes south from the Ohio River to Main Street between Clay Street and 10th Street and includes Thunder Chow Wagon and North Great Lawn viewing area.
- No Tents or Canopies of any kind will be allowed within Waterfront Park. Structures of ANY kind will be required to be taken down. This will be strictly enforced.
- No taping or roping off of larges areas will be allowed. This will be strictly enforced throughout the Thunder venue.
- No overnight camping allowed in Waterfront Park or the overall event area. Waterfront Park officially closes at 11PM on Friday Night and will open at 9 AM on Saturday morning.
- No glass bottles are allowed at the event site. Plastic containers, cans and food are permitted. There are also plenty of food and soft drink stands to take care of any needs you may have. Beer is available at the Chow Wagon at Waterfront Park, North Great Lawn, West Belvedere Beer Garden and River Road Beer Garden.
- No FOOD or DRINK allowed in the Thunder Chow Wagon, but it is permitted in the North Great Lawn viewing area and other areas of the Thunder venue.
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed.
- No grills are allowed within the Thunder venue.
- No bikes, skateboards or skates are allowed in the event venue. You will be asked to walk them in for pedestrian safety. If you ride your bike to Thunder, valet parking is available at the corner of Preston and Witherspoon Streets.
- Please leave any pets at home.
- A picnic blanket or tarp (limited to 10′x10′) and lawn chairs are allowed inside the Thunder venue (including the North Great Lawn viewing area).
Due to increased security – all persons and parcels are subject to search.