Planes of Thunder Static DisplayPURCHASE SHUTTLE PASSES HERE
Sunday, April 24
10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
For the first time in more than 20 years, the Planes of Thunder Static Display returns to Thunder weekend! In honor of the 75th Anniversary of the Air Force, and the Air National Guard, the Kentucky Derby Festival will present an aircraft static display at the Kentucky Air National Guard Base.
The Planes of Thunder Static Display Presented by T-Mobile is set for Sunday, April 24 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. It’s the day after this year’s Thunder Over Louisville show. The event is an opportunity for fans to get an up-close look at select military aircraft from the air show, as well as meet some of the aircrew who fly them. The static display of aircraft was also part of Thunder from 1996 until 2001.
There is no parking or direct access to the static display. Parking and Shuttles to the event will only be available at the Kentucky Exposition Center (KEC). $10 per vehicle.
All patrons must reserve passes to the event in advance. $10 KDF shuttle fee per person (children 6 and under free).
First 5,000 guests receive commemorative Thunder Wing Pin.
Each guest is required to pre-purchase a $10 shuttle pass for an assigned time to see the static display. Children 6 and under will be free on the Shuttle.
PLEASE NOTE: As you plan your visit to the Planes of Thunder Static Display on Thunder weekend, be sure to review the list of items that are permitted and those that cannot be brought onto the base.
All patrons are subject to metal detector scans before getting on the shuttles to be transported to the Kentucky Air National Guard Base. All participants and property are subject to search at entry and during their viewing of the static display. Guests are encouraged to arrive early to accommodate search procedures.
Guests will be required to return any prohibited items to their vehicles or discard them before loading the shuttles. Kentucky Derby Festival will not be responsible for any items left behind and such items may be thrown away.
This list is subject to change and any item deemed inappropriate or unsafe may not be carried into the facility at any time.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Backpacks, duffel bags and luggage
- Bags larger than 12″ x 6″ x 12″
- Balloons and inflatables
- Banners and/or signs
- Canopies and tents
- Cans (any size or type), glass bottles or containers
- Drones and remote-controlled aircraft
- Fireworks, explosives, noise makers, air horns, laser lights/pointers, defensive sprays (including mace or pepper spray)
- Flammable liquids or solids, lighters or matches
- Food & Beverage* (see restrictions below)
- Hoverboards, skateboards and scooters
- Illegal Substances
- Personal music players without head-phones, portable speakers/sound systems
- Pets, except for trained service animals
- Poles or sticks of any size
- Projectile Items, balls, and Frisbees
- Pressurized containers / compressed gasses (documented medical necessity permitted)
- Recreational / full-body PPE
- Seat Cushions that are larger than 15″ X 15″ that contain metal arms and/or backs, zippers, pockets or flaps
- Selfie Sticks
- Umbrellas of any size
- Weapons (including guns, ammunition, knives, scissors, tools and cigar cutters)
- Any items deemed dangerous and/or inappropriate
- Notable Exceptions that are Allowed Inside the Gates
- Baby bag & Diaper bags, if accompanied by a child (subject to search)
- Strollers, if accompanied by a child
*FOOD AND BEVERAGE: Bottled water that is in a sealed, clear and unopened plastic bottle- limit of two 24 oz. bottles per person. Food items in clear plastic bags or containers that do not exceed the maximum size (12″ X 6″ X 12″) are allowed.
Items must fit in the guest’s bag or one-gallon clear Ziploc-style storage bag (no trash bags). Guests are restricted to one bag only – additional bags for food will not be permitted.